Saturday, October 27

Den Haag

Hello from the Hague, Netherlands! I am writing from south asia lovely`s Swiss French keyboard which is trickier than expected. Why are the 'z' and 'y' swapped?

South asia lovely is a cute transplanted Montreal street funk who is living here in expat redux. She has an unusually spacious apartment with a view, something not to be sneezed at here in the land of three story brick edifices. Today is a bit grey but I'm not complaining. Beautiful Dutch women whiz past me on their bicycles pumping their calves into perfection.

I arrived in the Netherlands yesterday just before noon as my flight was five hours delayed leaving Montreal. The delay was annoying but when the airline feels the need to change the entire plane due to a fuel leak, I'd rather wait out the five hours than get on a death trap.

I was feeling a bit groggy from jet lag and last week's adventures so really appreciated that south asian lovely had driven the forty five minutes from the Hague to pick me up at Schiphol in the cutest little blue car. Perhaps because of my grogginess, it took me a shower and cup of coffee to realise how much south asian lovely has sexed it up since the last time I saw her. Always cute, the woman is now hot hot hot in an alterna executive way. Or how would you describe a classy euro dresser with deep purple tips tracing the jags of her ebony locks?

By the time I had awoken to her increased loveliness, it was time for the "Welcome Rachel" dinner whose main feature was the most delicious melt in your mouth fall off the bone chicken curry I have ever had. That really is something that Montreal lacks in the downtown core, decent Indian. The other dinner guests were expats who, like south asian lovely, work for international justice organizations here in The Hague. As you can imagine, the dinner conversation was scintillating. I sat wide eyed and silent listening in awe to the real stories behind the slivers of truth we receive in the Canadian press. It also struck me that I need to get over my tedious middle class angst. Sure, I have work related conflicts but the people I have conflicts with are not alleged mass murderers.

Getting over herself,
Rachel (nil)

No comments: