Sunday, November 25

This is the end, my only friend the end

Gentlemen and ladies are earnestly advised that new partners rarely wish to hear about old flames. Anything like bragging or wallowing should not be indulged in ...
-- Nerve's Guide to Sex Etiquette, for ladies and gentlemen

I am exhausted after a full week of evening shifts at image+nation. I absolutely loved being involved in the festival this year and am more than a little sad that tonight is the final screening. It certainly has been a wonderful opportunity to expand my queer network. Ironically, I have made more gay male friendships than queer women ones. I tried, honestly I did, but somehow my ventures into small to medium talk with women managed to get onto the ex track each time. For example:

"Hi, my name is Rachel. What is yours?"

Pleasant reply including first name and little smile.

"So, how long have you been volunteering at the festival?"

"This is my first year. Actually, I only signed up to (get over/ escape from/ annoy) my ex who is (somewhere with all my money/ still living in the place we bought together/ also a volunteer). She is a real (bitch/ cow/ lovely person) who (did me wrong/ did my sister/ caught me doing someone else) ... " and on and on until I was able to extract myself from their often very sad monologues. I still can't figure out if they were attempting to bond with me or get rid of me. Regardless, a word to the wise, whoa on the personal details people. Complaining about your exes ad nauseum makes you sound either like a cad or a loser. Neither of these options are attractive.

My picks from the festival:
Itty Bitty Titty Committee
This Kiss
She's a Boy I Knew
Shelter

Rachel ** (perhaps the boys can help me out)

No comments: