Thursday, November 1

All Hallow's Eve

Yesterday, I arrived in Amsterdam wearing a white ten gallon hat, jeans and cowboy boots. No one seemed to realize that I was in costume. Cowboy boots are very popular here but the hat, come on! Even when I went to the ARC later on in the hopes of at least striking up a conversation with a "pardner", only this guy with a fake eye in jam would talk to me. We were both waiting for the DJ to arrive on the bus from Rotterdam. Ah well!

I did meet a lovely blond woman who took me on a bicycle tour today. During the first part, I had my own bike and chased her over canals, tram tracks and between pedestrians. At dusk, we returned the bike I had been using to her friend before she doubled me on the back wheel. My life flashed before my eyes as I peered under her arm and bicycle bells rang about and at us. I had no idea my life would be framed in herring bone tweed. We shared 11% amber beer afterwards. Tasty!

All in all, I am enjoying myself here. Though, the restaurant service leaves much to be desired. No smiles and sloooow. In fact, the complete lack of smiles makes me wonder about the dental hygiene here. I never thought I would consider Montreal a friendly place or that it had generally superior restaurant service than anywhere. Who knew? Another reason to continue my local talent search upon my return.

Rachel *** (having fun)

No comments: