Saturday, November 3

Out and About

Yesterday, I visited the Van Gogh museum in the morning. It was awe inspiring to see the real pieces which I had previously only seen in posters and postcards. And he produced so much! What a shame that he had a mental illness. Then again, would he have been so creative if he hadn't had one? No way to know.

Following the Van Gogh museum, I visited the Ann Frank huis. That was also a perspective shifting experience. To think that the Franks had survived so long in such a small space before someone ratted them out.

After visiting the Frank house, I decided to take a canal tour to see the city and reflect a bit. Oddly enough, the tour turned out to be rather amusing especially as some French tourists mistook me for the captain of the canal boat - hilarious! I think my allo-quebecer accent really threw them. Besides, I am well too short to be Dutch. My french cuffed pink and white striped shirt over jeans must have fooled them. Pink shirts in solids, checks and stripes combined with corduroy jackets and jeans is all the rage here. Perhaps with my short hair and wearing similar attire, I look like a little man. Actually, I have been getting the student rate without asking. Do I look like a pre pubescent boy? ... hmmm. Not sure if I should be insulted or pleased.

Rachel *** (enjoying crushing lemons in her Wiekse Witte with the neat doodads at the end of dutch stir sticks)

No comments: