Wednesday, January 2

Trawling for women

Just another Wednesday night wondering why the heck I'm living in this frigid city covered in two meters of snow without someone to snuggle with. Well, New Year's Eve has come and gone and now I have my new resolutions here to haunt me e.g. "#1 Get out there and meet people."

To start this year off right, and to do so without having to physically trek east to Le Stud in minus eighteen degrees Celsius, I decide to check out plentyoffish on a friend's advice. After performing an initial search I begin to wonder how picky I can be in the "plentyoffish" space. The profiles my search pulls back are riddled with spelling errors, lack punctuation and, gasp, capitals as in "i'm". Spare me. Or is the whole idea to write one's profile like you just got home alone from the clubs and are too blasted to sleep? Who writes "bra" as "braw"? or "no lessbian dramma"? Isn't drama implied with the lesbian? No drama! Mon dieu what's next, no fun?

Another "to watch out for" while dating online are obvious issues. For example, statements like "I don't like head games" run the red flag right up the pole for me as I solidly go with the adage "who smelt it dealt it" in online profiles. If one states "no issues, please", I have to assume the author has some. Then again, as a lovely woman once informed me, "Everyone has f--king issues!" It really is how you communicate said issues that is important. Stating "I don't like head games" indicates to me a lack of responsibility on the author's part in expressing and dealing with her own issues. An absolutely and thoroughly unattractive inadvertant confession.

Therefore, post grammatical and "I don't have issues but everyone else does" weeding, I am left with ten profiles in my desired age range within a fifty mile radius of my postal code. Well, I suppose ten is better than zero. Will I have to include Ottawa when I trawl next? When do the sidewalks roll up there? 10 pm? Nightmare.

l8r g8rs,
Rachel **

No comments: