Wednesday, January 16

Chat-a-thon

Avoid talking about personal things such as financial problems, health issues, or stories about your dysfunctional family. In most cases, these things are best left unsaid.
- Online Dating Tips Appropriate Communication


When I arrived home from work today, I was all excitement. I had received a message including phone number from on and on and on via PoF earlier this week. After a few more pings back and forth we agreed to have a phone date tonight. How exciting, a real phone number and, when I called, a real voice! Bravely I ventured, "Hi, it's me {PoF user name here} aka Rachel."
"Hello. finallywegettotalkimsogladijustgotinfrommyjobidontlikeitsomuch ..."

And she was off. I'm a fairly chatty person but, wow, her chatter level was well beyond anything I have encountered before. After a few attempts to interrupt her verbal stream, my excitement at being on the phone with a real live woman began to wane. There were no pauses, even for a breath. Did this woman have gills? How was she breathing? And, good lord, did I really need to know that she was late on her rent and had accidentally(!?) slept with her boss? Oh, evil, evil logorrhea! Finally, after half an hour or so and several attempts to join the "conversation", I feigned that the battery of my phone was dying and signed off.

Why did she have to be so cute in her photos? Would it be possible to sleep with her without listening? Not really a good plan. Not even a good evil plan. I've been with lawyers. It's hard to get them to shut up and sleep. Ah well, some things are best left unsaid, some people left unbed.

Rachel (* - at least I was able to hang up!)

No comments: