Saturday, December 22

Messy Meals

For the last few years I have hosted a Messy Meal on the Friday before Christmas. This messy meal, all the dishes contain ingredients that stain, is probably the last one without turkey for most of my friends until well after Christmas. I really enjoy hosting and love sending out the silly invites that remind everyone to wear black or nothing at all :). It is also a fabulous excuse to use my black table cloth and napkins.

Last night, I invited two lesbian couples and a close male friend to feast on: crantinis, salad (can be messing depending), octopus ink spaghetti, Hearty Beet and Monkfish Stew (my own creation, see recipe below), lamb with veg and potatoes (not really messy but my favorite), raspberry meringue tart, and espresso with chocolate truffles. Oh, and copious amounts of red wine and grappa.

Hearty Beet and Monkfish stew:
(serves 6)
2 large white onions
2 large beets
2 cups cranberry juice
6 fillets monkfish

Quarter onions, roughly chop up beets (can be messy, wear black :) and fish into bite size bits.
Place ingredients in a baking dish pour in juice and cover. Heat at 350 'C for 30 minutes or until beets are soft.

Now to attack those dishes and hit the shops.

Rachel

No comments: